Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microlaunchers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:35 pm 

New here, but have been working on a plan to develop the "Altair" of space. A means to place up to thousands of tiny spacecraft to go out among the near Earth asteroids etc. At a cost low enough and launch rate to enable many to participate directly.

The Altair and its kind enabled access to computer ownership by many, and that led to what I type this on.

I've relocated to Las Vegas--better business climate than California.

I plan to look for team members to join in a NASA Nano Satellite Challenge attempt, and a Cubesat launch service.

Post subject: Re: Microlaunchers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum. I do hope you'll tell us more about your micro-launchers project, when you have time. It sounds fascinating and I'd love to read more.

I don't remember the Altair computer, though the first computer I ever used was a North Star Horizon, which I think must have appeared just 3 or 4 years after the Altair. Likening your launcher project to the Altair has an interesting irony to it. According to Wikipedia, the Altair was created by a small company called MITS, and their company history was as follows:

Quote:
While serving at the Air Force Weapons Laboratory at Kirtland Air Force Base, Ed Roberts and Forrest M. Mims III decided to use their electronics background to produce small kits for model rocket hobbyists. In 1969, Roberts and Mims, along with Stan Cagle and Robert Zaller, founded Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems (MITS) in Roberts' garage in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and started selling radio transmitters and instruments for model rockets.

So Altair's makers were into rocketry from the beginning! (I've no doubt you knew that already, but its an interesting discovery for me!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 pm 

Hi microlauncher. I love the idea, but what is the purpose of all these little spacecraft that people can send out to the asteroid belt? Is the idea that peoplce can to go prospecting for minerals?

Also, how micro is micro? How big are thse things going to be?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:22 am 

re-introducing. Had going in circles with registering, so have to stay registeres with username I don't want and email address I don't want. Cannot change it.

I'm now in Las Vegas, have incorporated, so Microlaunchers LLC now. With a friend as co-author a book on the basic idea is being written. Hopefully out in a couple months.

The overall mission is still the same, and am looking for seriously interested people to start this off.

I will start posting in some of the topics soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Charles, a very belated response to your last posting here: I watched a YouTube video of an interview with you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxsbzjwo50

This profile of your project is also very informative:
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/space ... -business/

Good luck with it all!