Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Happy New Year to anyone who is still reading this forum.

Sorry that after some very interesting discussions here earlier in 2010, things tailed off towards the end. My fault for not putting in more time to build things up, I'm afraid. Sorry too for the spam invasion that has occurred over the last week while I've been away at a philosophy conference. For the time being I've switched things so that new membership registrations need admin approval. This is not ideal, but its the best I can do for now. I'll try to get things sorted out next week, though I'm very short of time.

Anyway, I hope all space enthusiasts have a very happy 2011. :)

Post subject: Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Admin

OK, we're now getting literally hundreds of spambot registrations per day. Therefore my email account is flooded with requests for admin approval. Therefore for the time being I've turned off new user registration altogether. If you would like to join this forum, then for the time being the only way to do so is to email me at rick dot lewis at philosophynow dot org and I'll sort it out. Hopefully we'll find a better solution soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 pm 

You are probably going to have to change domain names or IPs for the board to throw off this spam attack. Have you talked to your host/service provider? They should have some solutions to this because it is making this site unusable.

Oh and Happy New Year too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm 

Did I miss something? To late to say happy new year, I suppose, but best wishes anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 pm 

I've just realized nobody is posting here anymore, apart from one post by Rick last month. Sorry iof this forum has died, as it was good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin! Long time no hear. I still come here from time to time.

Yes, we were flooded with spambots late last year and early in 2011 to the extent that I had to close the forum to new registrations. Then the forum sort of went quiet completely. My fault.

Over the last few days I've carefully deleted all the spambots that I could find and I've now re-enabled membership registrations. I think we'll still have a spambot problem, but I've discovered how to delete whole blocks of membership accounts at once, which should make it a bit easier for me to keep them under control. Anyway, let's see how we get on! I used to enjoy this forum and feel bad about letting it die. It would be great if it revived.