Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just wondering....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 am 

Given that this forum is for those interested in space I wonder if anyone played the MMO Eve?

Post subject: Re: Just wondering....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:22 am 
Site Admin

I had never heard of it and wondered what it was... Mr Google says it is a massive multiplayer online (= mmo) space game.

I was about to say confidently that no, I've never played it. However, now I'm not so sure. I do vaguely remember playing an online game of this sort a couple of times, about a year ago. I wonder if it was the same one? I had a spaceship, and the idea was to trade minerals between planetary systems without being zapped by alien spacecraft while on the way. Is that the one? It wasn't bad, but it wasn't so great that I felt pulled back to it after a couple of tries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 am 

Sounds more or less like it though the aliens are really human factions and if you wander into the more lawless regions they're usually other players.

The thing that makes Eve interesting to a number of academics is the fact that the in-game economy is very much driven by the players who mine the basic materials and build most of the equipment that can be bought. Depending on how you want to play it it's a game that can range from a number crunchers dream to a hell for leather space battle bloodfest.

It's certainly not to everyone's taste and most people I know either find it completely boring or utterly compelling with not a lot in between. The reason I asked though was because I love the depiction of space and colonisation that it portrays.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't find it utterly boring or completely compelling. I'm aware that I only really dipped my toe in the water and that there are probably all sorts of interesting complexities when you get properly into it.

However, I remember when I was a student in the mid 1980s, one of my housemates had a computer game called Elite, which was similar in the sense that you had to trade between planets and occasionally might have to fight other spaceships. It was absolutely fantastic and completely gripping, and as far as I can remember the fights were more interestingly portrayed - which is pretty amazing given that this was more than 20 years ago and computers were of course much, much slower. The spaceships were 3D line-drawings, but stylishly done and things moved fast on the screen. However, Elite wasn't a multi-player game, of course - you were just playing against the computer all the time.