Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

I recently read a really excellent article in the Guardian newspaper's G2 supplement about life aboard the International Space Station. After a bit of Googling, I've now located the online version. I won't try to paste it here - it is too long, and its probably easier to read the whole thing on the newspaper's website with pics etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... astronauts

I really like all the descriptions of the small details of space station life. For instance:

Quote:
"We get a drawer with our name on it and select all our meals before we go, but nothing tastes like it does on Earth. It all tastes like cardboard," says Sellers. "We get through gallons of Tabasco sauce." If you want to know how hard it is to swallow in space, try eating while lying on one side, he suggests.

I hadn't heard before about the way the food tastes of cardboard. Do you think it is because food packaged for consumption in space is somehow ruined so that it would taste of cardboard even if it was then eaten on Earth? Or do they mean that even really tasty food tastes like cardboard when eaten in space, for some physiological reason?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm 

There is no physiological reason why taste buds shouldn't work in micro-g. I would bet its more the processed, minimized, dehydrated "food" that they have to eat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:17 am 

I wonder if it has anything to do with how food wouldn't go across the tongue but sort of float across the mouth, even if you were chewing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm 

Then the Tabasco hot sauce wouldn't work either.