Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm 

Ok i heard something that gave me this idea

Have like three section's under the united nations. each has a counsle of people that vote on plans
1.Security and military
2.Enginering and discovery
3.Colinization

Security and military put in place after we get to a certen point. Enginering and discovery would be a joint system between world space programes starting it up. colinization would start with colony stations and moon but once to a certen point can create a space nation but they need to have a member in united nations so on like others.

security would be set on the colonies after reaches a serten point then military when people can start buying or building ships for personle use. that may be a long ways away.

this is only idea any other coments or Ideas would be wonderful and this may need improved upon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 pm 

I was about to start my own post about something similar, but you've done it for me!
I was reading up on Stone Aerospace and Bill Stone, the CEO. He's ambitious and I like him for it. He's been planning to mine the moon since 2003 (that's when this report is from) and has been talking more and more practically about it ever since. Seven years later there isn't a great deal of progress and there probably won't be for quite a while, but this guy is getting the ball rolling in the spirit of exploration while also figuring out how to make a good bit of money out of it. I've only read the introduction yet and I plan to read the rest in the coming week (I only found it late last night):
http://www.stoneaerospace.com/news-/pic ... ionV32.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:37 am 

very interesting if he is right we may be able to achily build factories there to produce ships also since if it has metal depposits and so on then we can probably make it cheaper. Mine, build, transport and then you can send more stuff back and forth and if we get the moon built up enough it may be a major foot hold to further travel.

to add to my earlyer info. I believe the security would be used for each facility and controled by the facility but the military would be under the United nations controle and any activitys would be put to a vote or set up system.

security also stays in area of facility military has patrols of teritory or what ever you want to call it. Military may also interven and/or controle security in emergencys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:22 am 

I really hope that security wouldn't be needed. There are efforts to ban the use or even presence of weapons off-world but I think if a group of engineers on the moon reaally wanted to make some they could. I do hope that they don't reaally want to though.
While I do think a group might be needed, I don't think an entire agency devoted to military/security would be necessary until you have the risk of space pirates or something, I THINK we're a little while off that yet. Though internal security might be needed, especially given the psychological effects of isolation but that, hypothetically, should be looked for in screening for astronauts. Even so, you might want a few big, burly crew members to be able to hold any potential nuts down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:06 am 
Site Admin

I had never heard of Bill Stone until now - thanks very much for the link!

From the news section of the Stone Aerospace website I followed a link to an article he published last year about mining the Moon:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/spac ... g-the-moon

Most of it sounds great. Using inflatable structures sounds like a good idea, though maybe more tricky on the Moon than using them in Earth orbit like Bigelow have been planning.

The bit he might have problems with (in terms of scaring investors etc) is this:

Quote:
First, to save about $1 billion during the initial staging of the lunar mining base, the first human team will take only enough fuel to land and establish the base—not enough for a return trip to Earth. This may sound radical, but the human crew who will undertake this mission will do so knowing that their success and survival depend on in situ fuel generation for the return. Should they fail, theirs will be a one-way trip; the risk is theirs to take. For government-sponsored space agencies, such a concept is unthinkable; they cannot tolerate the political risk of failure. Yet it is the only viable business choice. Centuries of explorers made the same hard choice in pushing the limits on land, sea, and air. It’s time to carry it forward into space. This is not reckless bravado but calculated risk management to satisfy mission needs and affordability.

Well, call me a coward but I won't be flying with Stone Aerospace anytime soon. :D

How badly do we need humans physically present for this kind of mission? Couldn't their role be taken by remote-control devices at least until some of the basic equipment has been put in place?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:01 am 

That's true (or so it seems to me) that it could be done by machines. I suppose part of the reasoning though could be that modern AI simply isn't efficient enough and remote controlling just doesn't have that skilful edge that a person in...person does. Like on the ISS right now they've got machine arms and are sending up Robonaut-2 but when there's breakdown in part of the ship they send out the humans to do the finicky parts and as long as we're talking about the very near future I think that will stay the same. And I think Mr. Stone is talking very near future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 am 

I May be rong about this but can we sent the componet's there first like in supply crates, and robots (not saying long disstance controle). then once 60 to 80% of supplys are on surface then send the team and its already in place to acemble no need to repedely go back and forth. There they have brot the robot controle unite and can set the construction and it might be a good idea to develope a mining robot to dig the tunles and so on enless tunles are under ground and supplyed with oxygen and have safe rooms with sutes instaled. the mining robot would be used to get the large deposits but humans run the procesing.

add more later

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:49 am 

That's one plan that's been/being considered I believe. I know it's in Red Mars, but I think I've seen some space.com articles on it as well, getting as much as possible set up and waiting for them there.

On a less relevant note, perhaps you could type what you want to say into a word document and use the spellcheck before posting? I'm struggling a bit sometimes!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:36 pm 

ya sorry some from typeing to fast others from spelling and gramer issues.
But thanks for the idea many say that to me but i still have trouble with some words.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:10 am 

Well that there was an improvement! Don't rush when you type, think about what you're going to say and then about how to express it :)