Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

Anyone here seen "Gravity"? I'm hoping to see it next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

Not sure why I'm posting this here... just realised I'm the first person to post on the forum for months!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you are. But as you had posted, it seemed a shame not to log in and reply!

I haven't seen the movie yet. It is probably going to be tricky for me to get out and see it at the cinema in the near future so I may have to wait until I can download it onto my iPad.

Did you see it? Is it any good?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:54 pm 

Yes I did see it. It was okay and looked pretty realistic to me in its depiction of life in space. I heard that one or two people have already picked some wholes but almost every film contains the occasional blooper and overall this one was good.

One criticism I heard was from a former commander of the ISS. He wrote about Sandra Bullock's astronaut character looking too shapely in profile. He said "we wear big boy diapers - we don't look like underwear models". lol

There were a few "lucky coincidences" in the film too, but it genuinely had a sense of tension. I liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

I still haven't seen Gravity. I was reminded of this thread because I just stumbled across the official trailer for the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTiKOy59o4&feature=kp

I'm not even sure I want to see it now - it looks terrifying!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:51 pm 

Hi Rick, thanks for your email. I haven't been you this forum for a couple years at least.

Don't be a wuss - do see Gravity. It's pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:45 pm 

I just saw on the Spage Age Facebook page that they watched Gravity on the International Space Station recently. They must have strong nerves! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:06 am 

Why bother? The moved sucked.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I finally saw Gravity whilst on a flight to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. I thought it wasn't bad at all. But why anyone on the ISS would watch it totally beats me. They must have nerves of steel. (But I suppose we knew that anyway...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to ask something about the technical premise of the film. (I hope this isn't going to spoil anything for people who haven't watched it yet. I don't think it will.)

In the film, a space disaster is set in motion by the Russians destroying one of their own spy satellites with a missile. The debris circles the Earth, colliding with various comms satellites, which creates more orbiting debris. Circling back every 90 minutes or thereabout, this high-speed cloud of junk then collides with and destroys the Hubble Space Telescope, a Shuttle, the ISS and a Chinese space station.

Is this even vaguely plausible? I know that space junk is an increasingly serious problem, but is it really the case that nearly all satellites, space stations etc orbit in such a narrow band that the debris from one is likely to strike the others in the avalanche fashion described? Or is this just dramatic license?

And also, why would the junk be moving so fast relative to the ISS and other orbiting assets? Surely all the satellites at a given height must be moving round the Earth at a similar speed?