Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Metal In Uniforms
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:50 pm 

I was concerning the uniforms worn in space colonies that they are going to have metal in them because prolong exposure to certain metals on my skin to give an aching sensation particularly on thinner areas to bones such as the rib cage . This could be a danger but about the planets we need something strong to protect from radiation .

__SatelliteWax

Post subject: Re: Metal In Uniforms
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:50 pm 

Some people are outright allergic to specific metals such as nickel, copper, etc. For instance, I had a girlfriend once who couldn't wear jeans with metal buttons on them because they gave her what amounted to a chemical burn on her skin where they touched.

There is very little radiation protection you can get from regular clothing. I mean regular cloth will protect from IR up to Alpha, but beyond that, you need the equivalent of a space suit for effective protection. Not very comfortable or practical long term.

Most of your radiation shielding will have to come from the pressure vessel and surrounding structures. Since its will be pretty much perfectly climate controlled, the people can get as comfortable and casual as they want to, up to running (floating) around naked if they want to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am 

Speaking of floating around naked, has anyone heard of the 2suit?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:25 pm 

Nope.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Intranaut wrote:
Speaking of floating around naked, has anyone heard of the 2suit?

I hadn't until now! I just asked Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2suit

Quote:
The 2suit (alternately 2-Suit or twosuit) (abbrv.) 2S is a garment designed to facilitate effortless intimacy in the weightless environments such as outer space, or on planets with low gravity.

Amazing. I imagine it will be a few years yet before any couple really test it out properly! It could become a popular way to pass those long interplanetary voyages.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 am 

Or you could just zip the two of you up in a single sleeping bag. That seems like a overly complicated solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 am 

I agree, James. And in all honesty, given your own private capsule, microgravity could at least make for interesting foreplay.
And the designer did give it a go with her husband on a microgravity place flight, just a kiss. Which does sort of reinforce what James said if you have to don a 2suit for any show of affection.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:18 am 

Organic

Full body

energy or canetic Barrier

Armor/suite

these are from mass effect 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:36 am 

That reminds me I need to borrow a friend's Steam account to play that. Though I have heard of research into developing more form fitting suits that aren't as clunky as the current EVA suits which, so the space horror stories go, can cause one's fingernails to fall out and are exhausting to use when dealing with small tasks for long periods of time. Or even shorts periods of time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 am 

Doesn't look very comfortable. There would need to be a LOT of materials science and physiological design work needed to pull off something like that. And you'd still just have a squishy delicate organism inside a very thin spaceship with all the vulnerabilities that entails.

I think once we really get going, teleoperated devices, from rovers and mining machines to anthropomorphic telerobots will be much more common than people running around in space suits. Long term, probably cybernetic or bio-engineered forms tailored to hostile environments.