Space Age Magazine

... a forum for the High Frontier
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:19 pm 

I am here to wonder what the effect is of bipedals walking on the planets with weaker gravity than Earth (average) ..... With a unique way of walking from our environment/s , and wonder what a lighter gravity or even heavier gravities would do for average walking posture/stride and what compensations are in place to fight that decay - but maybe today s walking s a part of a Global Cultural Heritage and should not be reserved onto the other moons & planets ?

With many thanks
__SatelliteWax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 pm 

What this might suggests is not only physical effects that gravity has on us but the abstractions , cultural inheritances , and of being on the Planet Earth .... with it s unique characteristics promoting specific ways to living like the walking and the talking (long term effect on voice boxes , sound waves ??) but these might 'float away'' in lesser gravities including names , do we want traces of Christianity in space , lesser gravity might naturally ''let go''

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:50 pm 

not just Christianity !!!!!!! every Earthly culture religion everything could be new start

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:19 pm 

Sorry about all the replies I am interested in the Walking and Talking Effects of Below Earth Gravity over LONG TERM to confirm

__SatelliteWaxingSouth.......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 pm 

Biomechanically, humans are designed specifically for walking in 1 G. Your muscles, tendons, and even nervous system and "muscle memory" is tuned to that. On lower gravity worlds like the Moon and Mars, beyond movement being easier, it allows for hopping and bouncing that will emphases different muscles and motions. A native Lunan or Martian might not be able to walk on Earth (or Venus) at all without a lot of physical therapy. Maybe even more than someone who has spent their entire life in micro-G, their muscles would be equally attrified and their walking nerves would be a "blank slate".

Socially... thats a completely open question and will be a truly novel experience for humanity. Everything will be "unnatural", so how the people and as a group react and adapt is anyone's guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:23 pm 

Thankyou for the reply James ! I really appreciate it .

I wonder about the effects , do you think there would be on vocal cords as well ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm 

Doubtful. Gravity doesn't have much effect on the vocal cords or breathing. What might have an effect would be the reduced gas pressure and mix of artificial environments. You can run pressure down to around 8 psi, and because you still have to maintain the partial pressure of oxygen of 20%, this means an oxygen rich environment, which might effect the sounds people make. Also if they wanted to run a "Helox" mix of helium instead of nitrogen which will make everyone sound "sqeeky" but won't physically effect the vocal cords unless people somewho adapt to speak in what would be a deep bass voice to compensate...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 pm 

I've sometimes wondered myself a similar question. While I don't see low gravity radically changing someone's physiology who has grown up in 1 g and has moved to <1g, I wonder if it will affect, say, the first children born on Mars. Having their first growth spurts without the same gravitational restraints as we have, could the first extraterrestrial humans resemble something like the tall, skinny alien in Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:32 pm 

Or 10 foot giants from the ecopropaganda film known as "Avatar" (minor political swipe)? Blue coloring optional...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:54 am 

Or that. I wonder if they would struggle in 1 g or whether their limbs would simply break?